Driving in EU after Brexit

If the UK leaves the EU in a no-deal scenario or under any deal that makes no provision for UK motorists driving in the EU, motorists would need to ensure they acquire and carry a Green Card to drive in the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as Serbia, Andorra and Switzerland (collectively referred to as the “countries in scope”).

This may include:

  • Those driving across the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border.
  • Co-operation and settlement between the UK Government and the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland will allows drivers from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland to not require a Green Card.
  • Anyone planning to take their vehicle to any country in scope. Any freight company planning to transport goods or anyone travelling into any country in scope before but not returning until after the date of Brexit will require a green card.
  • All commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered with the DVLA before travel to or through any country in scope and a separate Green Card will be required for these.
  • Please note irrespective of the aftermath of Brexit the following countries still require drivers to carry a physical copy of a Green Card when travelling through as they are not countries in scope: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Herzegovina, Israel, Macedonia, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.

Drivers with a UK driving licence travelling in any country in scope also need to obtain an IDP (International Driving Permit) depending on length of stay and European countries being visited.

What’s a Green Card & do I need one?

A Green card is an international certificate of insurance that’s issued by UK insurance providers. It guarantees drivers third-party motor insurance cover for driving in Europe.

Currently, UK drivers travelling to Europe with their own vehicle are not obligated to carry/or have a Green Card. However, in case of a no-deal Brexit, a physical copy of the Green Card will be mandatory for travel within Europe. An electronic copy will not suffice. If a PDF copy of the document is sent electronically, it MUST be printed on green paper before departure. A black and white copy will not be accepted because it would not meet the required format.

A Green Card will be required for any motor vehicle and to all forms of motor insurance such as; commercial, private, motor trade and motor fleet policies.

If drivers travel in any country in scope post Brexit without a valid Green Card they may be breaking the law and may be accused of driving without insurance. Additionally, the driver could be subject to a fine, have their vehicle seized or face prosecutions.

If a driver is taking a vehicle to any country in scope for less than 12 months, the following registration documents should be carried:

  • Vehicle log book (V5C) if they have one
  • A VE103 to show they’re allowed to use the hired or leased vehicle abroad

Author: Lucy

Published by: intasure