Call Us Now for a QUOTE: +46 844 689 552 – Weekdays 9:00am – 7:00pm | My Policy

Call Us Now for a QUOTE: +46 844 689 552 – Weekdays 9:00am – 7:00pm


Call NOW for a Quote – +46 844 689 552

You can protect your property abroad with Expat Home Insurance.

What is Expat Home Insurance?

Moving or living abroad is an exciting prospect, especially if it means more stress-free days in the sun. However, it isn’t without risks. Therefore, you may want an insurance policy that mitigates potential issues and gives you confidence in your new home.

That’s where Intasure can help. We have more than 15 years’ experience dealing with property insurance policies in overseas markets and understand the regulations specific to these countries. We’ve used this knowledge to create an Expat insurance policy that can help protect UK citizens and EU passport holders while owning a property abroad.

If you want further information about the cover we offer, why not give our English-speaking team a call? Alternatively, click the button below to get a quote now.

What does Expat Home Insurance cover?

Our expat home insurance policy covers buildings and contents as standard. It also includes public liability protection, alternative accommodation cover and optional subsidence cover.

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Our standard home insurance for expats protects against any damage or loss to your home abroad, including its contents. The policy also extends to any outbuildings.

*Expat home insurance covers as standard:

  • Loss or damage caused by natural disasters, including fires, storms, earthquakes (location dependent) and floods.
  • Escaped water, sewage, or oil from fixed heating or domestic water installation, such as washing machines and dishwashers.
  • Accidental damage to household goods such as fixed glass, sanitary fixtures, etc.
  • Subsidence cover—in France, Portugal and Spain.
  • Theft or damage of belongings within your house.

*Please refer to your policy details, accidental damage cover is an optional extra which can be included in your policy.

Public Liability Cover

Our policy comes with £5 million public liability protection which can help protect you against personal injury or damage to property claims.

Alternative Accommodation Cover

If you cannot live in your home after an insured claim, our expat house insurance includes temporary accommodation cover.

Subsidence Cover

This is often a concern when buying a property abroad, especially if the region you’re moving to has a history of instability or earthquakes. However, we provide subsidence cover for France, Portugal and Spain (subject to any subsidence and claim history) as part of your expatriate main home insurance.

Where in the world can I get expat insurance?

Our expat property insurance is available in more than 40 countries and territories across Europe and beyond, including:

Exemptions and Restrictions

While Intasure offers expat home insurance across Europe and further afield, certain countries are excluded. Here are a few other things to keep in mind:

  • We cannot offer cover for properties in Turkey.
  • The Italian Government requires a Codice fiscale (NI number equivalent) to secure house insurance.
  • You must be a UK citizen or EU passport holder to qualify for expat home insurance.

Please check our policy wording for the full details of cover, or get in touch with the Intasure team, and we’d be happy to answer any questions.

Why choose Intasure for expat insurance?

Intasure has more than 15 years’ experience providing property insurance for expats. Our coverage is broad, and our English-speaking customer service team are on-hand to deliver a friendly, seamless service throughout the insurance process. But there are many more reasons to choose Intasure, too, some of which we’ve highlighted below:

  • We’re specialists in expat insurance.
  • Your policy can be tailored to your requirements with optional cover.
  • Up to £1 million buildings insurance and £5 million public liability cover.
  • Cover during exchange of contracts and completion.
  • Cover for swimming pools and outbuildings
  • Unoccupied cover of up to 60 days for loss of metered water and oil.
  • Accidental damage, theft, and loss cover available.*

* Please refer to your policy details, accidental damage cover is an optional extra which can be included in your policy.

Expat Home Insurance FAQs

Please note that these Frequently Asked Questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions, please see the policy documentation.

How much does Expat property insurance cost?2022-04-14T16:13:23+01:00

Your expat property insurance premium will depend on several factors, including:

  • The type of policy – premiums differ across expat home insurance, expat holiday home insurance, expat caravan insurance and expat landlord insurance.
  • Location – properties in high-demand areas attract higher premiums than those in lesser-known or emerging markets.
  • Size – the size of your property (or property portfolio if you are a landlord) affects the price we quote.
  • Age – older or listed properties typically have higher premiums than new builds.
  • Contents – storing high-value or luxury items in your property may lead to paying a high premium.
Is expat property insurance a legal requirement?2022-04-14T16:12:55+01:00

No, Expat property insurance is not mandatory. However, if you want to ensure your home and contents are protected, it may be worth thinking about.

How much does expat property insurance cost?

The cost of your expat property insurance premium will vary depending on several factors, including:

  • The type of policy – the cost of premiums vary across our policies, including expat holiday home insurance, expat caravan insurance, and expat home insurance.
  • Size – larger properties typically warrant higher premiums.
  • Age – modern dwellings usually cost less to insure.
  • Contents – housing high-value items within your property may result in a higher premium.
Can I purchase expat property insurance if I’m not a UK national?2022-04-14T16:13:55+01:00

You can only purchase expat home insurance if you’re a UK national or EU passport holder. All we will need are the details of your current domiciled address.

Am I eligible for expat home insurance?2022-04-14T16:14:18+01:00

Our relationship with Nordic allows us to organise home insurance for UK nationals and EU passport holders. After the UK left the EU, we formulated a solution that enables us to continue servicing our customers. Nordic is an established subsidiary of our parent company, Gallagher, which holds the necessary regulatory permissions and licenses to provide insurance for holiday homes and expats. It also allows us to offer a UK home insurance policy for EU residents.

See what our customers are saying about Intasure

Find out more with Intasure

If you’ve decided to leave the cloudy skies of the UK behind and have started a new life in the sun, we can help with house insurance abroad. With over 15 years’ experience in the insurance business, we are here to help you find cover. To find out more, talk to one of our Sales team today on +46 844 689 552

*This provides you with a summary of the cover. For precise details of cover, including the conditions and exclusions that apply, the policy document itself should be referred to.

Ref: WB15-2021m

callback refer a friend EU Residents
Go to Top