What to know when buying home insurance

Written by Nick Grant


Published on 22nd January 2018


Last Updated on 23rd February 2024


Read time: 3 minutes

light bulbs

To help you when making your decision, we’ve listed some frequently asked questions from customers and some of the cover options available when purchasing a policy with Intasure.

Now days, a good number of insurance companies offer competitive prices, optional products and a number of different services with each policy. Faced with so many options, it can be difficult to know which one best suits your needs and it’s natural for people to have doubts. At the end of the day, whether you’re renting your property or living there, you ultimately want the peace of mind your home is protected.

1. Is It Compulsory To Have Home Insurance When I Have A Mortgage?

Whether you’re a landlord or an owner-occupier, home insurance isn’t a legal requirement. However if you have a mortgage or are thinking of letting your property out, then your mortgage lender may require you to have insurance in place.
In the case of not having a mortgage and owning a freehold property, this decision is down to the home owner. It’s common for property owners to choose to take out either buildings or contents insurance, in case the property is damaged or destroyed and so that they don’t lose income if the tenants have moved out, in the case the house is being rented.

2. What Does Home Contents Insurance Cover Me For?

Intasure’s home insurance covers up to £70k for the loss or damage of your household goods, carpets and personal property, however depending on which policy you choose there could be a fee attached for this. You can also customise your policy with optional extras, such as increasing the cover option available or adding cover for valuable & personal belongings away from the home.

3. Does My Home Insurance Cover a Home-Based Job?

The traditional workplace is more flexible nowadays and working from home is not just a self-employer option. If you work from home regularly it’s necessary to consider an extra public liability or business insurance, because a standard home insurance doesn’t cover this option.

4. Can I Get Insurance if My House Is Unoccupied Most of the Year?

Not everyone is going to be able to keep their house occupied all the time for the rest of their life, which is why most insurers expect the house to be left unoccupied for a certain length of time. However it’s important to note the time period in which you can leave it unoccupied but still be covered and whether any limitations are applied; our holiday home insurance covers both short term and long term lets.

5. How Do I Renew or Cancel My Home Insurance Policy?

You will be notified before your policy is due to renew, it might be worth checking whether your policy is due to renew automatically or whether you need to call your provider to manually renew it.

If you are insured with us, you will also be given a 30 day cooling off period (with the exception of Legal & Key Care which is 14 days) if you change your mind.

Hopefully this has answered some of your questions, however if you have any other questions or require any further information then speak to one of our friendly and knowledgeable staff on 0345 111 0680.

*The opinions and views expressed in the above articles are those of the author only and are for guidance purposes only. The authors disclaim any liability for reliance upon those opinions and would encourage readers to rely upon more than one source before making a decision based on the information.

Nick Grant is a Business Development Manager at Intasure with 10 years of insurance experience.