While holiday home insurance isn’t a legal requirement in the UK, some mortgage lenders may require you to take out a policy that includes buildings insurance.

In addition, while contents cover isn’t mandatory, you may want to carefully consider including it in your policy. Having suitable cover in place, can help protect your possessions in the event of damage or theft. The inconvenience alone of not having an adequate level of cover, can make it worth adding that extra level of protection, so that you can enjoy your downtime in peace.