Holiday home insurance isn’t mandatory. That said, most mortgage providers ask you to get buildings insurance at a minimum. However, this is usually basic cover, and only provides protection against damage to the structure of your buy-to-let. This could leave you vulnerable to financial costs if something else goes wrong, whether that’s theft, damage to your furniture, or even public liability claims. So, purchasing a specialist holiday home insurance policy could prove worthwhile to protect your investment and your financial security.