Insurance for your home and its contents

Home is where you and your loved ones live and where your most valued possessions are usually kept, so it’s important to consider protecting your home in case of damage or theft. Whether you live in a cottage, mansion, terraced house, or a suburban semi-detached, Intasure can tailor cover to help provide suitable insurance for your home and contents.

What is home insurance?

Home insurance, otherwise known as house insurance, helps to provide financial protection in the event of damage or loss caused by factors such as theft fire, storm, flooding, and malicious damage.

Why is home insurance important?

You love your home and cherish your belongings, so it’s natural to worry about the cost of major repairs or replacing precious possessions.

Suitable home insurance can help to take away those worries. The threat of fire, floods and storms, theft, or malicious damage won’t go away. But if something does happen, it can be reassuring to know you have cover in place should you need to make a claim.

Do I need home insurance?

There’s no legal obligation to have home insurance, but many people choose to have suitable protection in place. In some cases buildings cover is required by mortgage lenders as part of the terms of providing finance. The type of insurance you may want depends on the kind of resident you are:

  • Homeowner

    If you own and occupy your own property, you’re likely to require home insurance that includes both buildings and contents cover.

  • Landlord

    If you rent out a property you own, ordinary home insurance might not provide a suitable level of cover. Ask the Intasure team about our specialist property owners’ insurance.

  • Holiday homeowner or second homeowner

    A second property may require a policy that differs from basic home insurance. At Intasure, we offer a range of specialist holiday home insurance solutions for various property types and locations.

What types of home insurance can I get?

Our buildings insurance provides cover for the structure of the building itself plus permanent fixtures attached to the home. This includes baths and other bathroom fittings, fitted kitchens, and items that cannot reasonably be removed and taken to another home. Buildings insurance helps to protect your home against fire, lightning, explosion, and earthquake, as well as storm, flood, and damage caused weight of snow.

Contents insurance provides cover for your household goods, valuables, and personal belongings within the home. In rented accommodation, it can cover you, as the tenant, for damage to interior decorations and your home improvements. This cover can help protect you if there’s a break-in or if something is damaged. We even provide cover for the food in a freezer if it breaks down.

Combined home insurance

Combined home insurance is a single home insurance policy providing cover for both the building and its contents. Rather than paying for individual policies separately, you can combine everything you need into one policy. This could help you save money too.

Policy limits and exclusions may apply, please see our policy wording for full terms and conditions.

What does home insurance cover?

Intasure buildings and contents insurance includes the following as standard:

  • Up to £1m buildings cover

  • Up to £100,000 contents cover

  • Accidental damage cover to fixed glass, sanitary fixtures, and solar panels 

  • Theft or attempted theft cover

  • Subsidence cover

  • Trace & access cover of up to £5,000 – for the cost of detecting and repairing water leaks

  • Property owners’ and occupiers’ liability cover of up to £2m

  • Alternative accommodation cover of up to £40,000

Optional extras

We can help tailor your home insurance further with a range of cover extensions at an additional price including:

  • Increased cover for additional accidental damage

  • Theft and accidental damage to bicycles cover

  • Valuables or personal possessions cover away from the home – items you can carry with you when you’re out and about, such as mobile phones, cameras, jewellery, laptops, or sports equipment

Additional optional add on products are also available:

  • Home emergency cover

  • Legal expenses cover

  • Key cover

How much does home insurance cost?

Many different factors combine to determine the cost of home insurance. Before providing your personal quote, a number of factors are assessed, including:

  • Location

  • Property type

  • The cost of rebuilding your home

  • The nature and value of your home’s contents

  • Security features such as locks, burglar alarms, and smoke detectors

  • Flood risk

  • Cover and add-ons required

  • Previous claims history

Why choose Intasure?

With over 20 years of experience providing cover for second homes in the UK and abroad, we’ve built up a team of specialists to help you find suitable cover.

Some of the benefits of taking out an insurance package with Intasure include:

Cover overseas

We provide cover in more than 20 countries and territories

UK teams

We have an in-house UK-based customer service team

English documents

We provide all policy documents and communications written in English

Rated ‘Excellent’

We are rated ‘Excellent’ on, with 96% of reviewers recommending us*

*correct as at January 2024

What types of home insurance are available?

Standard home insurance isn’t always the appropriate choice. At Intasure, we offer cover for different types of homes. Please talk to our team and we’ll help you find a suitable policy.

Listed Home Insurance

This insurance takes into account the higher cost of repairs to properties of historical or cultural significance that are on the Listed Buildings register. You can find out if your property is on the Listed Buildings register with a simple online search.

Holiday home insurance

Protecting the property you use for holidays, whether in the UK or overseas, with a holiday home insurance policy from Intasure can be simple and offers peace of mind.

Second home insurance

If you own a second home, regular home insurance may not be suitable. The risks can differ and a second home insurance policy from Intasure takes account of this. If there’s a break-in, for example, a second home could be left unsecured for an extended period.

Flat insurance

Flat insurance can still offer buildings and contents cover, but it’s tailored specifically to the risks associated with owning or renting a flat, rather than a house. Speak to the Intasure team to help provide you with suitable cover, whether you’re a tenant or flat owner.

Specialist home insurance

If your home is out of the ordinary, talk to the Intasure team and we’ll look to tailor a home insurance policy to suit. It may be old or architecturally distinguished. It could be different in design, building materials, or location.

Expat home insurance

If you live overseas, you can still protect your property with our trusted team at Intasure. Our expat home insurance, covering both building and contents, is available in over 20 countries and territories in Europe and beyond.

What do you need to get a home insurance quote?

There is no one-size-fits-all quote, but at Intasure the process of getting a home insurance quote is simple. Get in touch and we’ll ask about you, your property, and the level of cover you want.

You can also fill in our online quote form if you already have the necessary details to hand. We’ll need you to tell us about your home and the level of cover you’re after, as well as some personal details about yourself.

Policy documents

View and download policy documentation

Need some help?

Call us on 0345 111 0680

Monday – Friday 9am – 7pm

Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm


Please note that these frequently asked questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions, please see the policy documentation.

There are a few simple steps you can take to help reduce the cost of your premiums:

  • No claims discount – the longer you go without making a claim, the lower your premiums are likely to be.
  • Pay annually – we can accept monthly payments for home insurance, but paying one annual lump sum can result in a saving.
  • Pay a higher excess – your premium can be lower if you agree to pay a higher excess, which means the initial amount of any claim that you have agreed to pay.
  • Make your home secure – homes fitted with security devices such as burglar and smoke alarms and high-quality window and door locks can be cheaper to insure.

Examples include wear and tear, electrical or mechanical breakdown, damage caused by vermin or birds, and water damage resulting from taps being left on.  Please see our policy wording for full terms and conditions.

If you own your home outright, there’s no legal obligation to take out either buildings or contents insurance. However, without suitable cover, there’s a risk of being severely out of pocket if something goes wrong. Many people choose to insure their home for this reason. Furthermore, many financial institutions insist that you have home insurance as a condition for providing mortgages and loans.

If you need to change your policy to your new address, simply contact Intasure’s Customer Services line on 0345 111 0680 who will help take you through the process.

To register a claim on your property insurance and obtain a claim form please contact Intasure on 0345 111 0680. Alternatively, you can log a claim online by logging in on the Intasure portal.

For any of the optional covers you may have selected:

  • Identity Theft call: +44(0)344 770 1040
  • Legal Expenses call: +44(0)344 770 1040 (for existing Legal Expenses claims call: +44(0)344 770 9000)
  • Home Emergency: +44(0)1737 334 491
  • Key Cover call CPP: 0344 736 0138

Our mission as second home insurance specialists

We comprise of an in-house team of sales, renewals, customer service, claims, and underwriting specialists. Our aim is to help you find property insurance that suits your needs.


Years’ experience
providing holiday home insurance


of reviewers recommend Intasure


Countries Covered by
Our Policies

*correct as at January 2024

Specialist second home insurance from Intasure

Learn more about the cover our products provide:

Insurance for holiday homes in the UK and abroad.

Insurance for UK expats looking to protect their homes.

Protection for your block of flats.

Cover in the UK and abroad.

Helpful articles from Intasure