Consider landlord insurance

If you’re a landlord looking to protect a property, you may want to consider landlord insurance. This policy is designed specifically for landlords who rent out their property and it offers protection against many risks that home insurance might not cover.

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance is a combination of policies which can provide landlords with financial protection when renting their property to tenants. Unlike home insurance, it helps to cover you against the specific risks you may face as a landlord, including loss of rent and accidental damage.

What is covered by landlord insurance?

With Intasure, you can tailor your policy to suit you. You may feel our standard cover is more than enough to help protect your investment, but if it’s not, you can add optional extras. The following are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses, and any endorsements.

  • Buildings insurance

    This can cover loss or damage to your property

  • Loss of rent and alternative accommodation

    This can cover lost income if your property becomes uninhabitable

  • Landlord liability insurance

    This can cover compensation claims for damage or injury that are caused by your property or happen on its premise

  • Accidental damage

    This can cover accidental damage to buildings and contents in your property

Here’s what can be added as an optional extra:

  • Landlord contents insurance

    This can cover damage to possessions and furniture within your property

  • Key cover

    This can cover the cost of replacing lost or stolen keys

What risks does landlord insurance cover?

  • Natural disasters
    Damage caused by natural disasters, such as earthquakes and floods
  • Theft or attempted theft
    If you’re a victim of theft or an attempted break-in damages your property
  • Subsidence

    If subsidence causes structural damage to your property

  • Accidental loss

    Accidental damage caused by a tenant

  • Fires

    If a fire causes damage to your property, fixtures, and contents

Do I need landlord insurance?

Although landlord insurance isn’t a legal requirement, it’s wise to keep it in mind. That’s because many home insurance policies might not cover issues you could encounter as a landlord. This means you could be left out of pocket if you’re hit with a costly issue and don’t have suitable protection.

Landlord insurance helps to give you peace of mind should the worst happen. Our landlord insurance policies are available with a range of optional extras, so you can tailor a landlord insurance policy to meet your needs.

What types of property are covered by landlord insurance?

Whether you want to insure a flat, bungalow or semi-detached house, we’ll help you find suitable landlord insurance at Intasure. We insure the following types of properties:

  • Houses including terraces, detached, and semi-detached

  • Bungalows

  • Flats

  • Student accommodation

Why choose Intasure?

With over 20 years of experience providing cover for second homes in the UK and abroad, we’ve built up a team of specialists to help you find suitable cover.

Some of the benefits of taking out an insurance package with Intasure include:

Cover overseas

We provide cover in more than 20 countries and territories

UK teams

We have an in-house UK-based customer service team

English documents

We provide all policy documents and communications written in English

Rated ‘Excellent’

We are rated ‘Excellent’ on, with 96% of reviewers recommending us*

*correct as at January 2024

What types of property insurance do we offer?

We’re here to help you take care of your investment with insurance cover for your property. Talk to our experienced staff today to arrange a policy that fits your property. Call us on 0345 111 0680.

Policy documents

View and download policy documentation

Need some help?

Call us on 0345 111 0680

Monday – Friday 9am – 7pm

Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm


Please note that these frequently asked questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions please see the policy documentation.

No, landlord insurance isn’t a legal requirement. But it does help to protect you against many risks, such as contents damage, theft or legal cover. You could be hit with a hefty charge if there’s an issue and you don’t have suitable cover. Plus, some buy-to-let mortgage lenders may insist on landlord insurance before you take out a mortgage.

The cost of landlord insurance varies depending on several factors, including:
  • The location of your property – for example, if it’s in a place where flooding is likely, you can expect to pay higher premiums
  • The size of your property – typically, you’d expect to pay higher premiums for a large mansion or villa and lower premiums for a small apartment
  • The value of your contents – more valuable items can attract a higher premium
Our standard cover can be available for unoccupied landlord properties, for example when it’s in between tenants or if building work is going on at the property. Please get in touch with us for more information.

Yes, we insure fixtures and fittings such as fitted kitchens and built in wardrobes. However, whether we provide you with cover or not depends on the type of loss or damage. For more information, check our policy wording.

Our mission as second home insurance specialists

We comprise of an in-house team of sales, renewals, customer service, claims, and underwriting specialists. Our aim is to help you find property insurance that suits your needs.


Years’ experience
providing holiday home insurance


of reviewers recommend Intasure


Countries Covered by
Our Policies

*correct as at January 2024

Specialist second home insurance from Intasure

Learn more about the cover our products provide:

Buildings and contents insurance suitable for holiday homes let via Airbnb.

Insurance for holiday homes in the UK and abroad.

Protection for your block of flats.

Cover in the UK and abroad.

Helpful articles from Intasure