Protect your second property with holiday home insurance in France

France is a popular destination for many UK holidaymakers, and it’s easy to see why. Stunning countryside, mild climate, and charming medieval market towns mean the country can be a wonderful getaway destination.

If you own a French property, you should think about putting precautions in place to protect your holiday home from potential hazards. For instance, Intasure’s holiday home insurance can help to safeguard against natural disasters, such as floods and storms, as well as damage caused by paying guests.

What is French holiday home insurance?

Whether you live permanently in France or just head there in the summer for some sun, you may want to think about taking steps to protect your property. Through Intasure, you can arrange holiday home and holiday let insurance cover in France.

There are several reasons why this can be important. For one, when applying for a mortgage, you may need to demonstrate that you have suitable home insurance. In addition, there are risks of natural disasters, destructive guests, theft, accidental damage, and more.

What does holiday home insurance in France cover?

Our property insurance for holiday homes in France can offer protection against similar risks to those found in the UK, such as fire, flood, theft, and accidental damage. Public liability cover up to £5 million is also included as standard.

To find suitable cover for your French property, you should first understand exactly what might need protecting. For example, many villas in the south of France have swimming pools, garages, and outbuildings, all of which Intasure can cover as part of your holiday home insurance policy.

These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.

Buildings and contents insurance

As you would expect with a residential home insurance policy, our France holiday home insurance includes buildings and contents cover.

Intasure offers protection from the following:
  • Damage to buildings or contents

    due to natural disasters, such as extreme weather, floods, fires, storms, and earthquakes (depending on location)

  • Escape of water or oil

    from household appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers

  • Theft

    of personal property, money (up to £250), and valuables

  • Accidental damage

    to household goods, carpets, and sanitary fixtures

  • Loss or damage

    caused by electrical power surges

Public liability cover

Public liability cover can protect you against the financial risks of letting your holiday home to paying guests. In such scenarios, this cover offers protection in cases such as a guest suffering bodily injury whilst staying in your property, or if damage is caused to a third party property.

We offer £5 million coverage as standard for insured public liability claims.

Emergency travel cover

Minor problems can quickly snowball into serious issues when you’re away from your property. That could be a leaking pipe leading to water damage, or storm damage rendering your home uninhabitable. If a disaster arises, our emergency travel insurance can help to reimburse you for any travel costs when you need to get to your holiday home in a hurry.

Loss of rent cover

If you rely on rental income from letting your property to paying guests, you might not be able to afford to lose this income. Following an insured claim, we can help support you financially by covering rent lost due to damage to your property rendered it uninhabitable, resulting in cancelled bookings.

Alternative accommodation

In a scenario where your property is uninhabitable due to an insured claim for damage, our policies can help cover the costs of alternative accommodation.

Year-round cover

Despite France being a relatively short distance from the UK by air or road, the nature of a second holiday home means your property may be regularly unoccupied.

Subject to policy terms and conditions, we can cover your property year-round if you visit weekly, monthly, or just for a couple of weeks a year. For example, small issue like a leaky tap when you’re not there turning into escape of water can still be covered even when you’re not staying at the property.

What types of property in France do we cover?

Intasure offers cover for a broad range of French properties, including:

Why choose Intasure for France holiday home insurance?

We provide holiday home insurance for areas across France. Here are some more benefits to choosing Intasure:

  • Customers can tailor insurance to their needs with optional covers

  • Up to £1 million buildings cover and £5 million public liability cover

  • Cover for short and long-term lets

  • Cover whether the property is occupied or not, for up to 60 days

  • Emergency travel costs for insured claims

  • Loss of rent cover following an insured claim

  • Alternative accommodation costs for insured claims

Policy documents

View and download policy documentation

Need some help?

Call us on 0345 111 0680

Monday – Friday 9am – 7pm

Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm

Holiday home insurance in France FAQ

Please note that these frequently asked questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions, please see the policy documentation.

Holiday home insurance is not a legal requirement for French properties. However, it can be worth considering as it can help to financially safeguard your property from several risks, including accidental damage, natural disasters, and theft.

Various factors affect the price that insurers quote for holiday home insurance. The following factors can shape the cost of your insurance policy:

  • Your property’s location – for example, areas in close proximity to rivers, seas or other bodies of water, could result in higher premiums
  • The size of your property – larger properties tend to attract higher premiums
  • The contents within your property – storing high-value contents in your property can result in greater insurance costs

There are some similarities between holiday home insurance and cover for your main residence. For example, it can be important to cover the building itself and its contents. However, properties in France can be more likely to have swimming pools and outbuildings, which may also need protection. That’s where Intasure can help.

Yes, you don’t need to be a UK resident. Get in touch with our team and we’ll discuss how we can assist you. Call our UK team on 0345 111 0680 or message an agent on LiveChat.

Our mission as second home insurance specialists

We comprise of an in-house team of sales, renewals, customer service, claims, and underwriting specialists. Our aim is to help you find property insurance that suits your needs.


Years’ experience
providing holiday home insurance


of reviewers recommend Intasure


Countries Covered by
Our Policies

*correct as at January 2024

Specialist second home insurance from Intasure

Learn more about the cover our products provide:

Buildings and contents insurance suitable for holiday homes let via Airbnb.

Swimming pool at a modern luxury villa, Crete, Greece

Protection for your holiday home when it’s let to paying guests.

At Intasure, we can provide an insurance solution for expat homeowners.

Our cover is available for static caravans in the UK and overseas.

Helpful articles from Intasure