What is expat home insurance?

Moving or living abroad is an exciting prospect, especially if it means more stress-free days in the sun. However, it isn’t without risks. Therefore, you may want an insurance policy that mitigates potential issues for your home.

That’s where Intasure can help. We have more than 20 years of experience dealing with property insurance policies in overseas markets. We use this knowledge to provide an expat insurance policy that can help protect UK nationals and EU passport holders while owning a property abroad.

What does expat home insurance cover?

Our expat home insurance policy can cover buildings and contents. It also includes public liability protection and alternative accommodation cover.

These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.

Buildings and contents insurance

Our standard home insurance for expats can protect against damage or loss to your home abroad, including its contents. The policy also extends to any outbuildings.

Expat home insurance covers as standard:

  • Loss or damage

    caused by natural disasters, including fires, storms, and floods

  • Escape of water or oil

    from fixed heating or domestic water installation, such as washing machines and dishwashers

  • Accidental damage

    to household goods such as fixed glass tops on furnishings and sanitary fixtures

  • Theft or damage

    of belongings within your house

Public liability cover

Our policy comes with £5 million public liability protection, which can help protect you against personal injury or damage to property claims.

Alternative accommodation cover

If you cannot live in your home after an insured claim, our expat house insurance includes temporary accommodation cover.

Where in the world can I get expat insurance?

Our expat property insurance is available in more than 20 countries and territories across Europe and beyond, including:

Exemptions and restrictions

While Intasure offers expat home insurance across Europe and further afield, certain countries are excluded. Here are a few other things to keep in mind:

  • We cannot offer cover for properties in Turkey.
  • The Italian Government requires a Codice fiscale (NI number equivalent) to secure house insurance.
  • You must be a UK citizen or EU passport holder to qualify for expat home insurance.

Why choose Intasure’s expat insurance?

Intasure has more than 20 years of experience specialising in holiday home insurance for expats. Therefore, you can rest assured that our customer service team do their utmost to help you find suitable cover.

Here are some more reasons to choose Intasure for your expat insurance:

Buildings and Public cover

Up to £1 million buildings cover and £5 million public liability cover available

Loss of rent

Loss of rent cover following an insured claim

Property cover

Cover is available for both long-term and short-term lets

Emergency travel

Travel costs for insured claims

60 days cover

Cover whether the property is occupied or not, for up to 60 days

Accommodation costs

Alternative accommodation costs for insured claims

Tailored extras

Customers can tailor insurance to their needs with optional covers

Need some help?

Call us on 0345 111 0680

Monday – Friday 9am – 7pm

Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm

Policy documents

View and download policy documentation

Expat home insurance FAQ

Please note that these frequently asked questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions, please see the policy documentation.

Your expat property insurance premium will depend on several factors, including:

  • The type of policy– premiums differ across expat home insurance, expat holiday home insurance, expat caravan insurance and expat landlord insurance
  • Location– for example, areas in close proximity to rivers, seas or other bodies of water, could result in higher premiums
  • The size of your property– larger properties tend to attract higher premiums
  • The contents within your property– storing high-value contents in your property can result in greater insurance costs

No, expat property insurance is not mandatory. However, if you want to ensure your home and contents are protected, it may be worth thinking about.

As a trading name of Arthur J Gallagher Nordic AB, Intasure can organise home insurance for UK nationals and EU passport holders that reside in the EEA.

Our mission as second home insurance specialists

We comprise of an in-house team of sales, renewals, customer service, claims, and underwriting specialists. Using the specialist knowledge of our team, our aim is to help you find property insurance that suits your needs.


Years’ experience
providing holiday home insurance


of reviewers recommend Intasure
on reviews.io*


Countries Covered by
Our Policies

*correct as at January 2024

Specialist second home insurance from Intasure

Learn more about the cover our products provide:

An insurance solution for expat homeowners.

Protect your holiday home.

Protect your let property in the UK.

Insure your static home in the EU.

Helpful articles from Intasure