Call our UK Team for a Quick Quote Now – 0345 111 0680

Protect your second property with holiday home insurance in Italy.

No two holiday homes are the same. Every property faces unique risks depending on, amongst other factors, location, climate, and local insurance regulations. That’s why we’ve created a holiday home insurance policy specifically moulded to the needs of holiday homeowners in Italy.

Italy’s unique charm appeals to those that enjoy delicious food, Renaissance art and breath-taking landscapes.

Like any valuable investment, you’re probably looking for ways to protect your prized asset. Intasure can help. Our policy covers a range of risks, including protection for homeowners seeking holiday let insurance. Call our team to find out more or get an instant quote below.

What is holiday home insurance in Italy?

Italian holiday home insurance offers protection for a range of risks associated with owning a house abroad — helping to safeguard your property from damage and loss.

Our policies don’t discriminate. They cover ski chalets, villas, and apartments from the Italian Alps to the Amalfi Coast. We’ll also arrange cover for swimming pools, hot tubs and any outbuildings.

Are you worried about leaving your property unoccupied for long periods? Our policy gives you holiday home cover whether it is occupied or not, and this includes for loss of metered water or oil for a period of up to 60 days.

What does Italian holiday home insurance cover?

Our cover for Italian properties is similar to what you can expect to find on a primary residence. That’s because our insurance includes buildings and contents protection as standard.

We also offer up to £1 million of buildings cover, and if you plan to rent out your holiday home, public liability insurance can safeguard against compensation claims.

Buildings and Contents Cover

Buildings cover protects your second home’s structure from damage, theft or loss, including:

  • Damage to buildings due to natural disasters such as storms, fires, lightning, or earthquakes (depending on location).*

  • Escaped water, sewage, or oil from household appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers.

  • Accidental damage to subsidiary parts of your holiday home for which you are legally responsible, such as parking garages.

Contents insurance, on the other hand, secures the contents within your property, including fixtures, fittings, and any belongings.

  • Damage to contents due to natural disasters, such as floods or earthquakes (depending on locations).*

  • Theft of personal property, money, or valuables.

  • Accidental damage to household fittings including sanitary fixtures, glass tops & ceramic hobs.

  • Optional cover for lost or stolen keys.*

*  Please refer to your policy details. Stolen key cover is an optional extra that you can include in your policy.

Public Liability Cover

Many second homeowners choose to rent out their property as a source of extra income.  However, renting out your property can carry additional risks. For instance, your guests could become injured or taken ill while on holiday. They might have their belongings stolen or damaged. In any case, public liability cover can help.

Faced with legal costs or a pending compensation claim? Public liability cover safeguards your finances for costs up to £5 million.

Emergency Travel Cover

The distance between the UK and Italy is one of the most common reasons Italian property owners seek insurance. You can’t always be there when issues arise. And when they do, you’ll need to get there quickly.

For instance, a storm may damage your property’s roof. Once you’ve made a valid claim, our Italy holiday home insurance policy will cover any emergency travel costs you incur while returning to your property.

Loss of Rent Cover

If your home is damaged and it means you can’t house guests, loss of rent cover steps in. It compensates for any expected rent and is often critical where structural damage or flooding arises.

Unoccupancy Cover

Intasure policies cover homeowners whether their property is occupied or not. This includes for a period of up to 60 days for loss of metered water or oil. This is ideal for property owners that can’t return to Italy regularly or when landlords have a gap in their rental window.

What types of properties in Italy can I cover?

Whether it’s a ski chalet, Roman apartment, or villa by the sea, we cover them all. Here’s a breakdown of properties we typically arrange insurance for:

  • City apartments
  • Villas with pools or hot tubs
  • Chalets
  • Houses including outbuildings, courtyards etc
  • Farmhouses

How much does Italian holiday home insurance cost?

If you’ve ever taken out an insurance policy, you’ll know that several factors determine premiums. So, having a greater understanding of these variables will give you an idea of what level of insurance you need and how much it might cost:

  • The location of your property – popular destinations attract higher premiums, such as city centres, seaside homes, or chalets in ski resorts.
  • The size of your holiday home – larger properties are typically more expensive to insure. Properties with outbuildings and pools (limited cover applies) can also be more costly.
  • The age of your second home – second homes with ageing infrastructure are usually more expensive to cover.
  • The contents in your property – storing high-value items in your second home? You could pay more for your insurance.

Why choose Intasure?

We have extensive experience in arranging insurance for homeowners abroad, which means knowing how to cover Italian property.

Some of our policies’ numerous benefits include:

  • English-speaking customer service and UK-based cover.
  • Cover for damages to outbuildings and related structures, such as garages or swimming pools.
  • Cover whether a property is occupied or not, including for loss of metered water and oil for up to 60 days.
  • High levels of cover: buildings cover up to £1 million and public liability cover of up to £5 million.
  • Loss of rent cover following a claim.
  • Cost of alternative accommodation following a claim.

Holiday Home Insurance Italy FAQs

Please note that these Frequently Asked Questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions, please see the policy documentation.

What does Italian holiday home insurance not cover?2022-03-15T12:10:27+00:00

We pride ourselves on the breadth of our cover, however, there are some exemptions. For instance, you won’t find the following risks covered under our policies:

  • Loss, damage, liability, cost, or expense caused by an act of terrorism.
  • Damage caused by faulty workmanship, defective design, or defective materials.
  • Damage caused by pets.
Are there any special requirements for insuring a property in Italy?2022-03-15T12:09:44+00:00

In order to take out insurance in Italy, you will require a Codice Fiscal, this is the Italian equivalent of a national insurance number.

Am I required to have holiday home insurance in Italy?2022-03-15T12:09:01+00:00

While you’re not legally obliged to have holiday home cover, some mortgage providers will want to see that you’ve got buildings insurance cover. Moreover, without insurance, your property and contents could face various risks. Additionally, our policy includes public liability cover, which safeguards you against the dangers of housing guests.

Intasure Customer Reviews

If you would like to discuss how you can protect your Italian holiday home in more detail please call our customer services team on 0345 111 0680 who will be happy to help.

*This provides you with a summary of the cover. For precise details of cover, including the conditions and exclusions that apply, the policy document itself should be referred to.

callback refer a friend Eu Residents
Go to Top