Call our UK Team for a Quick Quote Now – 0345 111 0680

Glistening lochs, sprawling coastlines, imposing castles: it’s no wonder so many people own holiday homes in Scotland. But with all that beauty comes the desire to protect your investment from potential risks. That can start with getting a quote for holiday home insurance.

Intasure’s holiday home and holiday let insurance can safeguard your property from potential public liability claims, natural disasters, accidental damage, and more. So, you can enjoy your stay next time you’re adventuring in the Highlands or renting out your property to family and friends.

To find out more about insuring your holiday home in Scotland, get a quote from us today. We specialise in protecting second properties such as: cottages, apartments, bungalows, and other properties based in arguably the UK’s most beautiful country.

What is Scotland holiday home insurance?

Owning a home anywhere can come with risks, but these can be compounded when your second property isn’t within easy reach. For example, travelling to Scotland from many other parts of the UK takes many hours; particularly if you’re driving from London. Therefore, you may want an insurance policy that steps into action when you’re not close by.

That’s where holiday home insurance kicks in — it’s a specialist policy for anyone who owns a second property. It can protect you against accidental damage to your buildings and contents, and can provide public liability cover if a guest or third-party gets injured, falls ill, or unfortunately dies while staying in your property. We’ll talk more about this further down this page.

What does holiday home insurance in Scotland cover?

If you have residential home insurance cover, you may be familiar with the buildings and contents protection included. Our Scotland home insurance policies can also cover damage and loss to buildings and contents.
Moreover, our policy offers liability protection and can include useful optional covers which you can bolt onto your insurance.

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Picture the scene: your guest leaves the gas on and checks out of your property. Hours turn into days. Not only are you faced with an extensive gas bill, but your property is at risk of fire. But with buildings and contents cover, you can at least rest easy that financial support is there to rectify the situation in the event of an insured claim.

For instance, Intasure holiday home insurance in Scotland covers:

  • Natural disasters – Damage to your property from issues like falling trees, floods, and lightning.
  • Water damage – Escaped water, sewage, or oil from household appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers.

  • Theft – Cover for personal property, money, and valuables.

  • Accidental damage – Protection for household goods, carpets, and sanitary fixtures.

Public Liability Cover

If you choose to let out your holiday home in Scotland without the appropriate cover in place, you could potentially be under financial risk. When lacking liability cover for instance, your bank balance could take a serious blow if tenants cause damage. Also, have you considered the legal implications of a guest raising a claim for compensation against you?

Our cover includes up to £5 million for damage claims and legal costs, should a compensation claim be taken to court.

Emergency Travel Cover

Your second home can be an important investment, and you will want to protect it to the best of your ability if something goes wrong.
Costs for last-minute flights or train journeys can be prohibitively high. The last thing you want in an emergency is high travel costs delaying your arrival at your property, which impacts how soon you can put things right.

We have a solution, which is to offer up to £1,000 in emergency travel costs following an insured claim.

Further to this, we also cover for loss of rent following an insured claim. This can offer financial protection for loss or damage to your property, meaning you won’t be left out of pocket when dealing with a crisis at your second home.

Unoccupancy Cover

Sadly, you can’t always be at your holiday home. Fortunately, unoccupancy cover is designed to step in to safeguard your property when you’re not there.
Intasure holiday home insurance Scotland offers cover whether your property is occupied or not. Our unoccupancy cover extends to 60 days, which affords you protection during gaps in your rental schedule and when you’re not enjoying a stay in your property.

What property types are covered?

Whether you have a cottage in a rural village or own a static caravan at a holiday home park, we can help. Click the links below to explore cover for specific properties or contact our dedicated team on to discuss your needs.

How much does holiday home insurance in Scotland cost?

What factors can affect the cost of your Scottish holiday home policy? Let’s take a look:

  • Location – In-demand locations, such as by a loch or in the heart of one of Scotland’s historic cities, typically incur higher premiums.
  • Size – Larger properties, especially those with outbuildings, are typically more expensive to insure.
  • Age – Insurers consider newer properties as lower-risk because their features are more likely to function than older structures.
  • Contents – If you can, keep valuables out of your holiday home for a lower premium.

Why choose Intasure?

Things don’t always go to plan when owning a holiday home. But with Intasure, you’ll have the assurance that your insurance can ease your stress in worst-case scenarios. What’s more, our specialism in holiday home insurance means that you’ll always speak to someone who knows how to assist you.

Get a quote now or call our friendly team for assistance on 0345 111 0680.

What’s not covered

While our policy is extensive, there are exemptions to the cover provided, including the below:

  • Wear and tear to contents.

  • A defective design or construction.

  • Fraud or loss from computer viruses.

See our full policy wording for the full details of cover.

Holiday Home Insurance in Scotland FAQs

Please note that these Frequently Asked Questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions please see the policy documentation.

Do I legally need holiday home insurance for my Scottish property?2022-02-14T13:54:35+00:00

While it is not a legal requirement, holiday home insurance can protect you against risks that regular residential insurance simply won’t. Additional protection provided by holiday home policies includes public liability, as well as emergency travel, loss of rent and alternative accommodation cover.

What level of cover should I get for my Scottish holiday home?2022-02-14T13:53:31+00:00

The level of cover you need depends on your circumstances. For instance, you will likely benefit from public liability insurance if you let out your holiday home in Scotland for extra income. Likewise, you can take advantage of enhanced contents coverage if you store valuables in your property. If you have any doubts about the level of cover you need, simply ask our friendly team.

Holiday home insurance vs home insurance – what is the difference if any?2022-02-14T13:53:52+00:00

Regular home insurance may not be appropriate to cover a holiday property. While it includes buildings and contents insurance, standard policies could leave you exposed. One of the main differences is that holiday home insurance includes public liability protection, which is a key consideration if you accept guests.

Intasure Customer Reviews

*This provides you with a summary of the cover. For precise details of cover, including the conditions and exclusions that apply, the policy document itself should be referred to.

callback refer a friend Eu Residents
Go to Top