Call our UK Team for a Quick Quote Now – 0345 111 0680

Home » home insurance » Second Home Insurance

Second Home Insurance

If you’re in the fortunate position of owning a second home, you know how important it is to protect that asset. One of the biggest issues is that your property may be left empty for prolonged periods of time. Unless you’re either renting it out as a holiday let, or have someone keeping a close eye on things, you may not know what’s happening – until it’s too late!

A dripping tap can turn into a big issue if it’s left for months, or that burst water pipe during the winter could cause extensive damage to the structure of your second home.

Second home insurance

If you own a second home you will already know that it needs a certain amount of care that isn’t usually required with your primary residence.

This is why second home insurance can be so important, and why Intasure can help give you the peace of mind you want, knowing your house insurance can be there for those times when things go wrong.

Does my second home insurance cover my buildings and contents?

At Intasure, we’re here to make your life easier. So we can provide you with cover on both second home buildings insurance and second home contents cover. Our standard cover can be changed depending on the type of content insurance you need. So whether your holiday home is just for you and your family, or you’re renting it out, you have cover all year round.

Home insurance for second homes helps you protect your second property, regardless of where it is located across the UK or even overseas.

Intasure Second Home Insurance Policies

At Intasure we try and help our customers find a suitable level of cover for their second homes.

*Intasure Building and Contents policies can help cover you against:

  • Optional accidental damage cover for Family and Tenants
  • Optional Theft by Tenant cover

  • Loss of rent cover up to £25,000 – for confirmed bookings following an insured loss under buildings cover
  • Alternative accommodation cover – following an insured loss under Buildings

  • Emergency travel/accommodation cover – following an insured loss

  • Public Liability cover up to £5million included as standard

  • Protection for swimming pools & hot tubs

Letting your Second Home

Many people who own second homes choose to let them out in order to receive extra income throughout the year. If you are thinking of letting your second home then Intasure’s second home insurance policies include up to £5million public liability cover as standard. That means if a tenant injures themselves while staying in your second home and claims for personal injury compensation (even if they’re only there for a week), your legal costs can be covered.

It can also help protect you against the financial cost of third party claims for damage to property. If you’re planning to rent out your second home then we can help you with homeowners insurance for second home rentals.

Our cover can also include protection against loss or damage during the time your property is let out and we can even cover both short and long term lets.

What does second home property insurance cover?

It depends entirely on what type of second home insurance policy you take out. For example, a basic buildings policy can cover things such as loss or damage to buildings caused by fire, smoke, lightning storms and flooding.

It will also depend if the property is unfurnished, so, for example, malicious damage or vandalism may not be included if the damage occurred while the property is unfurnished.

If you or your tenants can’t stay in the property as a result of damage as covered in your policy, then you may also be able to claim for temporary accommodation, as well as loss of hiring charges for bookings that have been made prior to any damage.

What about my second home contents?

If you take out second home contents insurance, your items are covered up to the policy amount. For example, any single item of up to £3,000 is covered (unless otherwise stated in your policy). There may be certain provisos, though, such as ensuring that any jewellery, cameras, watches, money and credit cards are removed if the property is left empty for more than 48 hours.

Intasure Customer Reviews

Find out more with Intasure

Our friendly sales team are waiting for your call. Find out more by using our online contact form, or call us on 0345 111 0680 today.

Get a Quote Now >>

* This provides you with a summary of the cover. Policy limits and exclusions may apply, For precise details of cover, including the conditions and exclusions that apply, the policy document itself should be referred to. *Any discounts subject to claims history, excess level & level of security at the property.

Ref: WB15- 2021e

Product information
View and download Insurance product information document:
Click here

Policy Wording
Second home insurance, View and download policy wording:
Click here

Legal Assistance
View and download policy:
Keyfacts – Click here
Wording – Click here

callback refer a friend Eu Residents